Thursday, January 22, 2009

Back to blogging

We haven't posted anything in nearly a week, not because nothing's going on, but because our home computer was being serviced. Seems we got a trojan horse--two of them, in fact--and while our anti-virus software (AVG) alerted me to their presence, it was powerless to do anything about them. And when I e-mailed AVG's customer support I got this in response:

"We would like to inform you that the reported message is from the"Resident Shield" component and not from the scan. That means that the detected objects have been removed at the moment of detection. According to the scan result you provided, you computer is virus free and protected."

Ummm, not so, as evidenced by the fact that strange DOS windows kept popping up. Even stranger, at regular intervals the computer was channeling voices from beyond! Well, from somewhere, anyway. At one point I heard a commercial for MALL COP; at another point it was someone speaking French. AAAHH! My PC was possessed! So I shut everything down, disconnected it from my cable modem, and took it to the university's IT department for service. And now everything seems to be in good shape.

No thanks to AVG. Guess who won't be renewing his subscription?

In other news, we've purchased our airline tickets for our trip to China. We leave on Thursday, February 12, and return exactly two weeks later. We'll be getting our daughter on the 16th.

For those who are interested, the weather forecast for Beijing calls for temperatures in the 30s and 40s; in Nanchang (where we get our little one) the temperature will be in the 40s and 50s, and in Guangzhou it'll be in the 60s and 70s. Okay, it ain't exactly Florida, but it's sure better than the freezing temperatures we've had in Ohio in the past few weeks.

Monica had her second shower--the one with family--on Sunday. I'll let her blog about that, because I wasn't there. Instead I hung out with my nephew Dan. We had a great time making root beer. Then that evening we had the joy of watching the Steelers whomp on the Ravens. Tampa, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment